Omaha Rails

Omaha Rails omaha header

Kickoff Meeting! Wednesday, August 20th

July 28, 2008 · 6 comments

RailsThe inaugural meeting for the Omaha Rails User Group will be held on August 20th, 7pm.

We'll kick off the meeting by having everyone introduce themselves by giving a bit of your development background and a brief discussion of any Rails projects that you're currently working on.

After the introductions have been said, we'll discuss possible topics for future meetings and gather volunteers to do presentations. Here are some topic ideas :

• Merb (when is it a useful alternative?)
  • Performance benchmarking
  • RESTful concepts
  • Behavior driven development with rSpec
  • Deployment with Capistrano
  • Scaling Solutions (Memcache, data sharding with DataFabric)
  • New features in 2.1 (named_scope, etc)

Lastly, I will do a presentation on ActiveResource. Think "ActiveRecord for web services". If you follow the RESTful conventions that Rails sets up, you will see how easy it is to expose a service for other 3rd party sites to consume.

Meetings will be held at the AIM Institute's training lab at 412 S. 19th Street. Wireless access available.

I will be attending Barcamp Omaha on August 15-17th, so if you plan on attending please say hello.

I look forward to meeting everyone!

Jim Jones

Tags:

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dusty // Aug 04, 2008 at 09:46 PM

Jim! Why didn't you tell me about this! (Or did you?.. haha)

I will definitely be there! And I look forward to chatting more about it at BarCamp Omaha!

Dusty

• 2 Juan // Aug 16, 2008 at 03:16 PM

Jim, It was great meeting you at BarCamp Omaha. I am glad you are starting this group.

• 3 Jerod Santo // Aug 17, 2008 at 08:25 PM

Jim-

Nice meeting you the other day. Let me know if others are okay with meeting a different night of the week. Best days for me are Monday & Tuesday.

-Jerod

• 4 Iowa Ruby Brigade // Aug 20, 2008 at 09:45 AM

Greetings and best wishes from the Iowa Ruby Brigade. Just found out about your group today, and will start promoting it.

We've added a link at http://www.iowaruby.org/links/ and we'll announce it at our next meeting.

Maybe we can collaborate in some way.

--David

• 5 Andy Peters // Aug 24, 2008 at 04:57 PM

i totally forgot about the first meeting. post on this site to discuss how it went. i'll try to make it out the next one.

• 6 社長の守屋祐生子と仲が良い守屋直幸氏 // Oct 10, 2014 at 08:00 PM

So, instead of tackling this problem the training provided makes things worse and helps the failure rate statistic along some more. Due to this fact, it takes numerous effort and motivation. It can be helpful for manage accounts and commissions of brokers, taxes, payments and generate summaries of sale of multiple parties and appropriately organize all information associated with multi level marketing business of individuals.